What is FarmBoat?
FarmBoat is a private organization that cooperates with local food producers and maritime heritage organizations in water-centric regions to facilitate authentic floating markets that deliver healthy natural foods, education and wholesome family entertainment. We deliver a nostalgic nautical experience that inspires consumption of local foods from small farming, fishing and other locally oriented food businesses.
Building a Social Enterprise
FarmBoat is operated as a social enterprise. Social enterprises are self sustaining businesses that have a triple bottom line; Profit, people and environment. Revenues are earned through connecting socially conscious businesses with like-minded consumers. People are served by receiving education about personal health and economic wellness through consumption of locally produced natural foods. Conservation of the local waterways is achieved by physically and emotionally connecting people with the water through active participation in floating market programs, sea excursions and exposure to maritime heritage.
The primary strategic objective of FarmBoat is to raise the perceived value of wholesome local foods through fostering an authentically nostalgic water-centric relationship between patrons and providers.
By meeting this objective, FarmBoat creates a heightened intrinsic value proposition for consumers that is the driving force behind all our strategic objectives.
* To promote a healthy and sustainable lifestyle by facilitating the delivery of seasonally fresh local farm goods and natural supplies to Northwest residents living near the navigable waterways of Puget Sound.
* To re-establish direct trade links between regional port communities to encourage inter-county economic interaction and growth.
* To create a positive trustworthy connection between consumers and local food providers.
* To preserve local agri-maritime heritage though actively sharing the experiences of our pioneer ancestors--farmers, fishermen, mariners and patrons.
* To preserve historic working vessels by providing a means of continued commercial necessity for them.
* To promote agri-maritime eco-tourism by enabling passengers to experience traditional travel along the historic Puget Sound Mosquito Fleet routes.
* To foster environmental stewardship by actively connecting people with the waters of Puget Sound so that they experience first hand why it is important to conserve this natural resource.
* To build an independent "ready to deploy" inter-community food supply system that is not dependent on modern infrastructure in the event of a natural disaster or other disruptions.
A "Buy Local" Marketing Channel that Inspires Good Living
FarmBoat's primary communication tools are its web site and e-newsletter program which is reinforced by brand identity at the Floating Markets. FarmBoat is funded by commercial sponsorships (advertisers), membership contributions, water-centric activity program sales commissions, non-profit fund-raising commissions and consulting services.
FarmBoat intends on applying the same model as is being deployed in the Puget Sound region to other regions around the US and Canada. Anywhere there exists maritime heritage organizations, local food producers and water-centric communities, FarmBoat can potentially establish a sustainable collaborative program that inspires healthy local eating and preserves important aspects of agricultural and maritime history. Other regions may include for example: British Columbia, San Francisco, Columbia River, Southern California, Chesapeake Bay, Hawaiian Island, Long Island Sound, Hudson River, Mississippi River, Great Lakes, etc.
While the altruistic vision of FarmBoat is that it will help improve the overall health of children and adults by providing an enjoyable and memorable venue for sensible food education, the mission is to increase the market demand for quality local products by shifting people away from unsustainable mass produced goods. Through association with the solid integrity and comforting nostalgic intrigue of maritime heritage, the FarmBoat brand will serve as an iconic representation for a desirable way of living for those who strive to improve their quality of life.
A Special Invite for You to Get Involved
FarmBoat is seeking partners, participants, advisors, interns and volunteers. If you think you or someone you know might be interested in becoming involved with a unique organization, we welcome you to contact us today to discuss possibilities.